Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GRIFFEY, JR. CALLS IT QUITS!

Ending one of the most storied careers in MLB history today, Ken Griffey, Jr. retired ending a 22-year dream career. "While I feel I am still able to make a contribution on the field and nobody in the Mariners front office has asked me to retire, I told the Mariners when I met with them prior to the 2009 season and was invited back that I will never allow myself to become a distraction," Griffey said in a statement. 
Seattle News - April 12, 2010
After the flare-up of the "Seattle-Sleep-Gate" where Griffey was claimed to be asleep in the clubhouse when the team attempted to locate him to bat, the writing was on the wall that the future Hall of Famer was on his way out. In 22 seasons Griffey has amassed 630 home runs (5th All-Time), with what most baseball enthusiasts will agree was the "sweetest"  "most-true" swings in the league next to the great Dave Winfield, 7 Silver Slugger Awards and 10 Glove Glove Awards . 
Ken Griffey Jr. #24
The 40 year old Griffey, who was the overall #1 pick in the 1987 draft by the Mariners returned back to Seattle after stints in Chicago & Cincinnati and seemed to be back home where many believed he belonged and would eventually retire, but not this soon. No word has been released on what professional move Griffey will make next.

No comments:

Post a Comment